Tuesday, February 26, 2008

i love butterflies

ok so you are probably thinking that Sarah has written this flowery conversation she had with Maddy about butterflies. this is the furthest from it, i have a friend who is about to embark on his first ever super official full time frame sermon! this is the awesome thing about ministry, we sometimes get to study a passage of Scripture and tell others what it has meant to us and how we think that it can help them in their lives. i love studying Scripture, i love doing word studies and trying to figure out the exact mental framework the writter is in when he is writing! which leads me to butterflies, they are these unseen friends that arrive about two days before i give a presentation, sermon or even morning devotion at school. i have just disregareded them as nervous jitters, or anything else that will at some point let me feel that i am in control of things, but i have gotten rather close to my butterflies and they always tell me the same thing, "you dont have it all together, you have not arrived!" AND I LOVE IT!!!!!!! i love walking up to the podium or at least at our church on to a blank stage with nothing to hide behind but Jesus and His Word! i love walking up there and knowing i may have typed out all my notes and practiced it in the bathroom before my shower, in the shower and in bed at least a couple more times and knowing that i dont have it all together! it is an amazing feeling to have those butterflies swarm bigger and bigger in my stomach until that point comes when, for some reason my legs are moving and the front of the church is getting closer and i turn and there are all these bright shining faces ready to listen to what God has put on my heart and then the butterflies are gone; with no fanfare, with no ticker tape or anything, they are gone and i am left with my notes and the passage and the most important thing, The Holy Spirit. i recently spoke at a morning service and my little stomach friends were there to cheer me on and i loved it! my prayer for my friend is that he appreciate those butterflies as reminders that we are given an awesome opportunity to share God's Word and not to take it lightly but come crawling humbly into the place He would have us speak.
I LOVE BUTTERFLIES!!!!

1 comment:

-C said...

I love that. I have to admit tho that at first, I thought that you always saw real butterflies when you were preparing for a sermon. LOL. I think that would be REALLY cool, but I guess the other kind make more sense.

Btw, it's nice to get to know you a bit here ... I'm a friend of Sarah's from SBC. I must have left before you got there.